April 12, 2006
- I thought Tadhg Kelly’s particleblog ended in July 2004, shortly after his interesting insyn proposal. I didn’t realize he was back to blogging, as of last summer; he’s been working at Lionhead as a scene designer on The Movies (although apparently is leaving Lionhead along with many others in the recent re-shuffle). Anyhow, he’s got two new essays I enjoyed, one on moving beyond fun in videogames, and a response to Warren Spector’s Escapist article series. Also check out this Next Gen article he wrote on using human-captured motion/imagery in games, although I found it problematic.
- rec.arts.int-fiction had long discussions last fall on simulation and world consistency (and this follow up), and a recent discussion on emergence.
- Eyejinx is against a formal language of game design.
- Patrick Dugan on Progressive Design, looking for the Beat poets of gaming.
- Matt Sakey at Culture Clash suggests Shadow of the Colossus is videogaming’s Citizen Kane… hmm, I’m not so sure about that.