April 24, 2005
After finding that no such resource seems to exist, I’ve started to assemble a bibliography of creative work in HyperCard, a very influential early system used for artistic, literary, and gaming purposes. My list is no doubt very incomplete right now – I was not an early Mac user and don’t have first-hand experience of HyperCard work from back in the day. But I do have more than 50 works listed, so this may be the beginning of a useful resource.
I plan to continue to working on the list and hope that others with more HyperCard experience and knowledge can help out. I’m now dedicating this bibliography to the public domain and inviting others to contribute to it by leaving comments here on Grand Text Auto. A wiki might be more appropriate for such a bibliographic barn-raising, but I have a blog set up and don’t have a wiki that I can use for something like this, so I’m putting the list up on the blog…
Lastname, Firstname [and Firstname Lastname]. [Day Month] Year. Title. [Other relevant information.] [Place of Publication, Publisher.]
Use quotation marks for titles of works that were not published individually. * indicates that the credited author was not (or probably was not) involved in the creation of the HyperCard stack.
This bibliography on this page is dedicated to the Public Domain:
This is version 0.1.01 edited May 2, 2005.
- Adams, Douglas. 11 October 1991. “Megapode Stack.”
- Adams, Douglas.* October 1991. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Voyager Expanded Books.
- Branwyn, Gareth and Peter Sugarman, eds. 1992. Beyond Cyberpunk! The Computer Lab.
- Burnett, Christopher. Agents of Time. 1994.
- Carrol, Lewis.* October 1991. Alice in Wonderland. Annotated by Martin Gardner. Voyager Expanded Books.
- Cayley, John. 1989-90. Wine Flying. Wellsweep.
- Cayley, John. 1991-93. Indra’s Net. Wellsweep.
- Cayley, John. 1993. Collocations. (Indra’s Net II.) Wellsweep.
- Cayley, John. 1993-94. Moods & Conjunctions. (Indra’s Net III.) Wellsweep.
- Cayley, John. November 1994. An Essay on The Golden Lion. (Indra’s Net IV.) Wellsweep.
- Cayley, John. February 1995. Leaving the City. (Indra’s Net V.) Wellsweep.
- Cayley, John. May 1995. Book Unbound. (Indra’s Net VI.) Wellsweep & Engaged.
- Cayley, John. 1995. The Speaking Clock. (Indra’s Net VII.) Wellsweep.
- Cayley, John. 1995. Pressing the Reveal Code Key. (Indra’s Net VIII.) Wellsweep.
- Cayley, John. 1996. Oisleánd. (Indra’s Net IX.) Wellsweep.
- Caylet, John. 1999. noth’rs.
- Cayley, John. 1999. Windsound.
- Cayley, John. 2000. riverIsland.
- Crane, Greg. 1997. Perseus Project.
- Crichton, Michael.* October 1991. Jurassic Park. Voyager Expanded Books.
- Dickey, William. Hyperpoems. (14 poems.) Unpublished collection edited by Deena Larsen for Eastgate.
- Dickey, William. 1988-1990. “Fours,” “Heresy,” “Zenobia, Queen of Palmyra,” and “Accomplished Night.” Edited by Deena Larsen. Included on the CD part of The New Media Reader, eds. Noah Wardrip-Fruin and Nick Montfort, MIT Press, 2003.
- Goodenough, Amanda. 1987. “Inigo Gets Out.”
- Goodenough, Amanda. 1991. Amanda Stories. (“Inigo Gets Out,” “I Miss You, Inigo,” “Inigo Takes a Bath,” “Inigo’s Dream,” “Inigo’s Snack,” “Inigo At Home,” “Your Faithful Camel,” “Your Faithful Camel Goes to the North Pole,” “Your Faithful Camel Goes Underground,” “Your Faithful Camel Goes Home.”)
- Humphrey, Clark. 1990. The Perfect Couple. Later published by Eastgate.
- Kac, Eduardo. “Insect.Desperto.”
- Larsen, Deena and Kathryn Cramer. 1993. “A Story.”
- Larsen, Deena. 1993. Marble Springs. Watertown, Mass., Eastgate.
- Ludwig Van Beethoven Symphony No. 9. Voyager CD Companion, 1991.
- Malloy, Judy. Molasses. Berkeley, CA: Bad Information, 1988.
- McDaid, John. 1993. Uncle Buddy’s Phantom Funhouse. Watertown, Mass., Eastgate.
- Miller, Rand and Robin Miller. 1987 The Manhole.
- Miller, Rand and Robin Miller. 1987. The Fire Hydrant. One-floppy “teaser” for The Manhole.
- Miller, Rand and Robin Miller. 1990. Cosmic Osmo.
- Miller, Rand and Robin Miller. 1991. Spelunx.
- Miller, Rand and Robin Miller. 1994. Myst.
- Moran, Monica. 1993. Ambulance. Electric Hollywood.
- Mosher, Mike and Mike Larkin. 1990. Hucklefine.
- Moulthrop, Stuart. 1992. Dreamtime.
- Moulthrop, Stuart. 1989. Hyperbola. A companion to Gravity’s Rainbow.
- Murtaugh, Michael. “Hypercon Text.”
- Murtaugh, Michael. “Rose Garden.”
- nichol, bp.* 1993. First Screening. Later version of software written in the mid-1980s for the Apple II, created after nichol’s death by J. B. Hohm. Alberta, Canada: Red Deer College Press.
- Padawer, Randy. 1993. “The Insulter.”
- Rockeby, David. 1989. “liquid language.”
- Rosenberg, Jim. 1988, 1990-92. Intergrams.
- Schmeer, Matthew W. “R/BISS.”
- Schmeer, Matthew W. 1996. “MWS Selected Poems of 1996.”
- Schmeer, Matthew W. “ChaosPoetry Generator 1.2.”
- Schmeer, Matthew W. “HyperGlot Gobbledygook-HC.”
- Spong, Matthew. 1995. Down.
- Stiegler, Marc. 1989. David’s Sling.
- Swigart, Rob. 1988. Portal. Later version of software first published by Activision in 1984 for home computers.
- Tallmo, Karl-Erik. 1992. Iakttagarens förmåga att ingripa. (The Watcher’s Ability to Interfere.) In Swedish.
- Thomas, Brian and Philip A. Mohr, Jr. 1988. If Monks had Macs… Original black and white version.
- Thomas, Brian. Passing Notes.
- You Don’t Know Jack 1999. Prototype/Demo. Jellyvision.
Names of individual poems by Dickey in Hyperpoems.
About 70 other Voyager Expanded Books.
Several Voyager CD-ROMs.
About the Numbers and Contributing
I’ve numbered the entries so that commenters can refer to them by number as I (and whoever wants to join me) work on this bibliography. The numbering will change in the next draft, and I will replace this first draft with the next version of the bibliography, and continue updating the page in this way, so that people don’t start finding old, less correct versions of the bibliography once newer versions exist that have been corrected and augmented.
Of course, since I’ve offered this to the public domain, anyone is welcome to take this list and make use of it in any way. By posting comments here with bibliographic information, you agree to dedicate such texts to the public domain so that they can be edited and added to this public-domain HyperCard bibliography.